New Member First Post

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: New Member First Post

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Sep 2020, 20:06

Ahhh... poor thing definitely has low B12..... talk to your vet about B12 supplementation or just try/order WOnderlabs Pet Factor B12
https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688
... but be sure to share with your vet that you are going to try the WOnderlabs B12... (it's just easier then shots)

Also... with some (but not all) dogs with low B12.... sometimes low B12 itself can produce loose stools.... while with other dogs with low B12 this doesn't happen... so definitely worth putting your dog on some B12 sooner rather than later!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

zuzupetals
Pet name: Bailey
My name: Tig

Post by zuzupetals » 12 Sep 2020, 09:27

Morning, I will definitely post the EPI test results. I was sure I had, but looking through the email string don't see it. Strange. One of the members actually responded to the result numbers saying it looked like her B12 is low. I will post them again. Bailey is not on any enzymes and I plan to start her on the slippery elm this week-end. The dosage for her will be 3/4 tsp for dogs 80lbs to 100lbs. She has lost some weight over the last several weeks, but she will be in this range. Now I understand that less is sometimes better. So to start her off should I give her the 3/4 spoon or less?? There were a couple of days last week where is looked like her stools were getting better but then it changed back to mush and full blown diahreaa I will have to go back to vet this week and see what's next. At the last visit he said an X-ray but I am confused by that, he said it's very common and would be looking for tumors!!! I just feel so helpless, Bailey must be feeling awful with her tummy so bad and it seems nothing to this point is working.

Again thanks for everyone's input and sharing, it definitely helps.

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 12 Sep 2020, 09:30

Hi I have the results of Bailey's tests for EPI here they are
TLI = 27.1
Cobalamin (B12) = 184
Folate = 20

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 12 Sep 2020, 09:59

Yes, a TLI at 27.1 is not even close to EPI... the reason why we were asking for the actual number is sometimes the TLI value will be in the low teens or some where around 5 or 8 and although still not EPI... we like to recommend to watch these dogs closely and retest as they may be segueing into EPI but just aren't there yet.

This does not appear to be the case with your dog.

However... the B12 is very low and we have noticed that with some dogs, just low B12 may trigger the loose stools... this is why it was suggested to you to start a B12 regimen.

Also, as i mentioned earlier, dogs like people, as they age, things just don't work as effectively as they did.... so plant enzymes might be worth trying with your dog since she is 13 years old... nothing too strong, but plant enzymes are just enough to boost the aging digestive process. Please share with your vet our suggestions. :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 13 Sep 2020, 13:53

Just wanted to follow up and see if you've tried the Slippery Elm - with regard to you question about the amount - you could start off with 1/2 tsp if you wanted and if there's no improvement then try the 3/4tsp - my boy is 102lbs and he gets 1/2tsp with breakfast and dinner - be sure to mix it with a little warm water and then put on top of the food or mix in with the food.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 13 Sep 2020, 15:41

Zuzupetals, you had posted the results on your Thursday, Sept. 10 post😉

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 14 Sep 2020, 06:29

Morning thanks for the feedback. I will ask the vet for his input based on the info you have provided. I think I may have read this throughout the various posts, but can I give Bailey over the counter vitamin B12 that a human would take? How much would I give her? She used to be approx. 95lbs, but has lost some weight over the last several weeks so I would put her around the mid to high 80's now. As for the enzymes, Porcine Pancreatin x 4 has been suggested, again how much should I give her? Starting the Slippery Elm today. Bailey did not have a good week-end tummy wise but since getting me up through the night a couple of times on Sat has only peed since then... will keep monitoring and hopefully will see some improvement shortly.

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 14 Sep 2020, 07:33

I missed this response, sorry and thank you. I will review the web site.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 15 Sep 2020, 23:33

for B12, IMHO a good B12 product is from WOnderlabs, their Pet Factor B12
https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

I would start with 1 capsule a day... share with your vet this product and that we suggested 1 capsule daily and ask your vet if they think staying on 1 capsule daily for maybe 2 to 3 months, stop for 1 week and retest the B12 to see where the B12 level is at ... if this would be a good plan.

Keep us posted!.

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 16 Sep 2020, 06:39

Morning, thank you once again for the advice. I will discuss with the vet, I have yet to get an appointment to see him. I cannot get time off in the day to see him and the evening appointments are all booked. Will try calling again today. I started Bailey on the slippery elm 2 days ago. I am honestly a bit nervous of the amount I am giving her. I did not want to order on line incase the product was held up in customs and Bailey needs the help now so I went to my local herbal store, they were most helpful and I purchased in capsules. Each capsule has 400mg of slippery elm. I have only been giving her 1 a day mixed in with some chicken broth, which I am sure is not enough, but I also know too much is not good for her either. No improvement yet but I would imagine it will take a few days and because of the low qty I am giving her.

I know the vet will say he has to take xrays, I am just very confused by this. Why xrays? He said to look for tumours. But I don't get it. Would tumours cause diahreaa and GI issues?

Again I am so thankful I found this site. The input is awesome and I don't feel so alone and helpless.