I need help stabilizing max!!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: I need help stabilizing max!!

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Oct 2022, 12:49

Okay..... couple of things:

1. "At the moment he is getting 4 1/2 tspn of enzymes. He gets feed 4 cups once a day, a dinner meal"..... Is there anyway you can change this to TWO meals a day? If the sores are from the enzymes... then this might be way too much enzymes all at once.... but the ratio is correct... so it would be better on his stomach and any enzyme reaction to break this down into 2 meals insted of 1.

2. " I am now soaking his food for a good 2 hours " THis is not a good idea..... we advise to NOT incubate food longer than 1 hour at the most, cause then you invite bacteria into the food and that can trigger SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) to REALLY get out of control :(

3. If the food is that mushy, that might be why you have to feed him by hand cause he probably doesn't like eating mush (many dogs don't like it when the food gets too mushy). Instead of soaking the enzyme in water (if i read this correctly) just add enough water to moisten the food, then add the enzyme and mix and let sit for about 40 minutes....since he is sensitive to the enzymes.. not sure what you are feeding, but if you are feeding all kibble... try adding a little topper that will also cut the caustic properties of the enzymes, but not so much as you don't want to have to add more enzymes to compensate for the amount of food being eating.

4. another few tricks to help "if" the nose sore is from the enzymes is (1) after he is done eating.... if he like to go after balls, toss a rubber ball in a deep bowl of water and hopefully he will try to get it and consequently flush his nose of any enzyme residue.... this might work better and be a little more pleasant for him and get more enzymes off vs. gently wiping his nose. (2) take some of the enzyme portion and put in 1 empty gel capsule while mixing the rest of the enzymes in the moistened food. This is not the best way to give enzymes (sometimes you have to give a pinch more this way) but.... this might be another way to reduce the caustic properties of giving him his required amount of enzymes..... but if you do this... watch the poos to make sure they don't go sloppy .....

are the sores inside the nose, or on the outside?
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Oct 2022, 12:57

I had a big long reply typed but I see it did not post!
You can also feed on a flat plate and bob for ice cubes after to clean the face.
If you can split the meals in to 2 meals it might help. Being too full can bring acid reflux. Or you might need a 45 day course of Tylan given 2 times a day.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Oct 2022, 13:06

i found this as picture of dog's noses with Lupus... does this look like Max's nose.... or too hard to tell...
Attachments
clinical-characteristics-of-canine-facial-discoid-lupus-erythematosus-a-b.png
clinical-characteristics-of-canine-facial-discoid-lupus-erythematosus-a-b.png (579.48 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Oct 2022, 13:12

ImageAmanda just sent me a picture of Max's nose.

I am guessing it looks more like Lupus than an enzyme sensitivity..... BUT..... since i have never had to deal with this... if anyone's dog has had enzyme sensitivity... can you please let us know if Max's nose looks like what your dog had to deal with or not.

Here is a pic of Max's nose Image
Attachments
Max nose.jpg
Max nose.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 518 times

amandaa
State: California
Pet name: Max
My name: Amanda

Post by amandaa » 04 Oct 2022, 13:53

Olesia711 wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 12:49 Okay..... couple of things:

I can try to change him to 2 meals. With work is a bit hard to feed him twice and I’m the only one how cares for him in my family so asking them to help feed him is difficult as I’ve tried already with no luck. But I can try feeding a very super early morning. In the past when he was on 2 meals he didn’t eat much of his meals.

I have only started to soak his food 2 hours for the last 2 weeks but I will switch it back to 45mins

I think I might try getting him a larger bowl to see if that’ll help as well with enough space to eat out of. For the last 2 weeks I have only been adding 12oz of water to make it less soupy and mushy. He is only on kibble

The sores are inside his nose and they bleed. I can try a capsule but I remover I tried capsules when he first was diagnosed and they didn’t work. He is a gentle giant and lets me do whatever to him without an aggression but I always feel bad cleaning his nose. He will cry out in pain. I can try the ball and water trick but he’s kinda a lazy dog and I’m not sure that’ll work for him.
are the sores inside the nose, or on the outside?

amandaa
State: California
Pet name: Max
My name: Amanda

Post by amandaa » 04 Oct 2022, 13:55

I’ve seen him eat he literally dives his face in I’ve never thought to feed on a flat plate but I will try thank you. Feeding 2 meals might be hard but if it’ll help I’ll try and do my best for him

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Oct 2022, 18:23

the flat plate is a great idea,.... i hope it helps!