I think it was the enzymes!

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

I think it was the enzymes!

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 09 Dec 2020, 14:41

Well, I just finished Tucker's 45 days of therapeutic Tylan dosage, and his poo has remained a little soft. On a whim, I immediately increased his enzymes by 1/2 teaspoon, and guess what! Better poop overnight. You all have said some dogs need more as they get older, and while he may act like a big baby most of the time, Tucker is 6 1/2, so I guess he is starting to qualify as 'older'. Thanks you guys!!! I'll keep you posted.
---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: I think it was the enzymes!

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Dec 2020, 14:44

Thanks for the update Pam!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Dec 2020, 16:43

Hi Pam... good to know that a pinch more enzymes helped.

However, just to clarify... it is not simply that older dogs may need a pinch more enzymes

...... but rather dogs with EPI that have had EPI for a while and THEN as they age some simply need a pinch more enzymes cause their body may not effectively be processing things due to aging.

I know this clarification probably sounds as clear as mud.... BUT.... i wanted to make the distinction, cause sometimes older dogs (lets use an 8 yr old dog as an example) all of a sudden develops EPI. Well.. just because they are an "older" dog does not mean that they might need a pinch more enzymes..

On the flip side (as there always is a flip side with these EPI dogs!) ..... a dog that was diagnosed with EPI at 1 yr old may need the enzymes slightly increased by the time the dog is 4 years old because it has been dealing with EPI for a while and now as it has aged some, it's body is not as efficient as it used to be....

SO..... clear as mud, eh :lol: ???!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Dec 2020, 16:47

oh... there is another reason for slightly increasing enzymes ... determined by the poo..... sometimes it's almost good poo but just not quite there yet.... and sometimes, no matter how hard you have tried..... it is because the diet is just not 100% optimal .... this is another case where just a pinch more enzymes may be beneficial :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 09 Dec 2020, 16:49

Olesia---Ohhhhhh, yes, I see the distinction. He has been treated for a year and a half. If this keeps working, do you think the increase is OK?
---P
Tucker was a shepherd mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Diane's Enzymes 4 t/day, B12 1 capsule/day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/day. Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 4 c/day. 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma Nov. 2023. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Now there's Nina. 5 year old GSD. TLI 1.0 B12 323. We are still tweaking her routine, and getting lots of help from the forum. She is klutzy and goofy, and we love her dearly, too.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Dec 2020, 23:27

Hi Pam,

Yes, if a slight increase in the enzymes continues to do the trick then that is the dose you need to give him.

However.. if this (increased enzymes) works, but only for a little bit... and then the poos start going south again.... that means something is triggering SID to act up. THis is where the pre+probiotics may help (aid the imbalance in the gut flora) , but if not, you may need to change the food (often the diet is not optimal), but if that is a bust too and you've tried many different diets with different compositions, then you may need to do another course of Tylan and instead of stopping cold turkey at the end of day 45.... what often helps is to slowly withdraw at day 45. Since you just stopped the 45 days..... you might want to try this now..........

give 1/2 dose of Tylan morning & night for another week.
the following week give 1/2 dose of Tylan once a day for another week
After the above give 1/2 dose Tylan every other day for one more week and THEN stop... observe the poos, and see if this does the trick............ maybe this will be enough so that you don't need to give a little more enzymes....

OR.... skip the above and stick with the little bit of extra enzymes since that is working at the moment and see if this corrects everything for quite a while.

Don't you just LOVE dealing with all the possible variables with EPI ????!!!!

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 10 Dec 2020, 05:26

I suppose that the enzymes just are gotten used to

My Kara started off with 1/4 teaspoon per 100 grams food, at aged 9 we were up to 1 teaspoon , but we always played around with amounts, she became very tollerant of food between meals which was unenzymed, milk being the main one, she had a bowl every morning, and whenever she begged for it

But that was HER I would NEVER suggest it to anyone

Keep a diary and keep going Pam
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Dec 2020, 08:14

Thanks Jean... and YES!!!! keeping a dairy / EPI Log / Journal.... whatever you want to call it is the best tool in the EPI tool box to help you figure out how much to take care of the EPI dog. We start with a general EPI protocol regimen, but from there, one often has to "tweak" things .... and this is where taking notes are most helpful!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 14 Dec 2020, 17:51

Pam - glad to hear the increase in enzymes seems to have firmed things up LOL :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Dec 2020, 18:07

Well, that was short-lived. Back to soft serve, even after eliminating the treats, so I've just ordered TOTW, Pacific Stream, and will see if that helps. OMGoodness, a few sprinkles out of one Proviable capsule resulted in a cow patty, so I had to stop. School is out for a couple of weeks, so I can see if he can tolerate some while I'm around all the time. And the gas!!! Good grief. Life with Tucker.