New to Forum: Dolce

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Yorkiemom2013
Pet name: Dolce
My name: Steph

New to Forum: Dolce

Post by Yorkiemom2013 » 10 Dec 2020, 01:58

Hi,

My 7 yr old 4.5lb yorkie has been having issues . She’s always been a picky eater.. some days she just has no appetite. She vomits foam or bile and also has mushy poop with mucous and red blood. I had thought it might be just acid reflux, but I have tried feeding her smaller meals, and a bed time meal, but her lack of appetite, vomiting and mucous poop is happening more and more frequently. I have tried changing her food - she’s currently on hydrolized protein by RC and wanted to start her on hills biome wet food (but she doesn’t eat it). I have tried adding probiotics (she ends up getting sick, not sure if it’s just bad timing). They have done ultrasounds and blood tests, stool and blood analysis. She has a collapsed trachea and gallbladder sludge. The vet suggested a possibility for her issues as being due to EPI. Just wanted to know if anyone out there has had a yorkie with similar issues that turned out to be EPI, as the testing seems to be pricey and I’ve already spent a lot of money for tests that don’t result in a diagnosis. Thanks!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: New to Forum: Dolce

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Dec 2020, 08:31

OMG... your little Yorkie is really struggling!!!!!!!!! I am so sorry to hear this.

Even if this is not EPI.... this could be SID (small intestinal dysbiosis)...SID will not show up on any testing :(

SID can happen with many other health conditions,. so.... i am wondering, if you could contact your vet and ask him/her if they would prescribe your little sweetie a course of Tylan / Tylosin Tartrate soluble antibiotic powder (this is a macrolide antibiotic and DOES not kill all bacteria but rather inhibits bacterial reproduction).... please tell them that you DO NOT want Metronidazole/flagyl, etc.... because new research came out from Texas A&M Gastrointestinal lab where they are now advising NOT to use Metronidazole for any chronic gastrointestinal issue.

It sounds like you have already tried all the other steps recommended prior to taking an antibiotic..... hence why my suggestion is to talk to your vet about tylan.
Also.... Tylan IS the recommended antibiotic of choice to actually treat SID. THe good thing is that there are no adverse reactions to Tylan.

I am also wondering....maybe the collapsed trachea is part of why she doesn't want to eat. Maybe ask your vet if this is a possibility and if so, how can you address it.

Also....If your vet suspects EPI.... ask him to let you try a little pancreatic enzymes......... enzymes will not hurt, even if this is not EPI,....... BUT....check with your vet first since your dog has not been properly tested for EPI .....and if there is a possibility if this is an acute pancreatic attack, you do NOT want to give enzymes. If this is possible chronic pancreatitis, then enzymes are actually given (usually temporarily) for chronic pancreatitis. If this is EPI, enzymes are given for life.

And my last thought is, especially with the Yorkie breed... has your vet mentioned or considered PLE? (protein losing enteropathy).. if any blood work shows low albumin and low protein... this would be something to consider in which case, again, Tylan will help with the symptoms you are describing , but i think with PLE, steroids may be needed to actually help the condition. If you'd like to read more about PLE, we have a section on it here: https://epi4dogs.com/ple/ oh and If this is PLE, enzymes will not help..........
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 10 Dec 2020, 08:42

Hi Steph and sorry to hear Dolce is under the weather. Yes there have been Yorkies on here with Epi, the condition doesn't seem to be picky!

The only way to know if it is Epi is the cTli blood test. There is a less expensive test you can use at home , Schebonthat can indicate Epi but best if you have your pup tested at some point.

It sounds like your pup may have SID/SIBO or acid reflux. A couple of things you can try. If you can get Prilosec or Omeprazole over the counter and try those for acid reduction. This might help the vomiting.
Is she on Ursodiol for the gall bladder sludge?

https://epi4dogs.com/schebo-fecal-test/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 10 Dec 2020, 21:04

Hi Steph - welcome to you and Dolce. I'm so sorry she's struggling so much. Olesia and Jill have already given great suggestions. The only other thing I might suggest talking to your vet about is Slippery Elm Bark Powder but that may not be a good idea with a collapsed trachea. It's a prebiotic that coats the gastrointestinal tract.

Sending you hugs and please keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 13 Dec 2020, 05:46

Hi There

My Kara had this issue

I see you give a later evening meal

I think this may be she is producing too much acid Slippery Elm may help, as may Omeprazole, but because of her other conditions ask your vet

Has the vet considered Mega E

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/di ... aesophagus

this is only a thought

This needs to be corrected as she is likely feeling lousy, we gave Kara scrambled eggs and mashed potato. we did maybe 12 eggs at a time, and reconstituted potato, no milk , no salt, fed by hand, and kept it in the fridge,

She loved it, and we were never able to stop that late night meal, she would haunt me in the kitchen, and then go to bed a happy camper

As to the EPI test which is cTLI , it is the gold standard test developed in the 1980's by a Scots vet, and is an 8-12 hour food fasted test and specific, if you do, ask for Cobalamin (b12) and Folate to be tested too, personally I would fast over night and have the blood test first thing in the morning, avoid a Friday, as it has to go over the weekend to the lab

I am with you on the cost, its horrible, but, its maybe best to get it in, or out of the equation, that is only a personal opinion, you can spend thousands trying different foods and procedures at the vets

let us know what you decide to do

We are here for any questions, and thoughts
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 19 Dec 2020, 09:42

Hi Steph! I just wanted to pop in and see how Dolce is doing. Hoping things are going well.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.